We sure could use this! Yes, our street being closed for most of August and September has hurt our sales dramatically and getting a bonus would help us meet our obligations, and you could help! Here’s how:
Bookstore employees, publishing professionals, authors, or bookstore shoppers may submit bonus nominations on behalf of any current independent bookstore employee of an America Bookseller Association member store (Turn of the Corkscrew, Books & Wine is a member) who did not receive a bonus from the 2015 James Patterson Holiday Bonus campaign. (We didn’t.) Applications must be made online by completing and submitting the application form found at bookweb.org/bonus. In all cases, the vetting process will include obtaining approval from the bookstore employee and store in question to confirm current employment. A total of $250,000 dollars will be available in bonuses ranging from $1,000 to $5,000 for distribution between December 1, 2016, and December 18, 2016. The bonuses will be announced through the website bookweb.org/bonus.
How do you nominate a bookstore employee?
- It’s simple to nominate a bookstore employee for a bonus, which range from $1,000 to $5,000. You just have to fill out a form with your name and the bookstore employee’s name and store and describe in 250 words or fewer why this bookseller deserves a holiday bonus. Go to this website to nominate a bookseller: bookweb.org/bonus.
- How will bonus recipients be chosen?
- The ABA will accept nominations and submit them to James Patterson for approval and fulfillment. He will personally review the nominations and select the bonus recipients.
- When will bonus recipients be announced?
- Bonus recipients will be announced the week of December 12. A full list of bonus recipients will be posted at bookweb.org/bonus.
- What are the requirements to be considered for a bonus?
- All employees of ABA member bookstores are eligible for a bonus. Nominations can be made by anyone: store owners, managers, fellow booksellers, publishing professionals, authors, and bookstore shoppers. But they must always be nominating a current bookstore employee.
- What is a good reason to nominate a bookstore employee for a bonus?
- It could be that this bookseller recommended one of your favorite books this year. Maybe they were responsible for an incredible book event or developed a new program at the store. They might stay late every evening to keep the store in top shape or consistently go above and beyond the call of duty. James Patterson wants to reward bookstore employees who are making a difference in their stores and their communities.
- Can more than one employee from the same store receive a bonus?
- Yes! James Patterson will consider all nominations, including more than one bookstore employee from the same store.
- After I submit the form on the website, what are the next steps?
- You will receive an email confirmation that your nomination has been submitted. James Patterson will review the nominations and the ABA will follow up individually with bookstore employees who will be receiving a bonus.
- Is there a deadline to nominate a bookstore employee?
- The deadline to nominate a bookstore employee for a holiday bonus is November 1, 2016. The bonuses will be awarded in mid-December and announced on the website bookweb.org/bonus.
- Where is the money for these bonuses coming from?
- James Patterson is personally funding all the bonuses. He is devoting proceeds from the sales of JIMMY Patterson Books to funding pro-reading initiatives like the independent bookstore employee bonus program.