Skip to content
« All Events
Independent Bookstore Day
April 29, 2017
- THIS JUST ADDED: 11AM:
- Join us as we celebrate 75 years of Little Golden Books with stories and activities as part of Independent Bookstore Day. We will be reading old favorites like The Poky Little Puppy, The Little Red Hen, The Shy Little Kitten and Scruffy the Tugboat! After the story time, join in with story-related activities, including making your own Little Golden Book and have your picture taken in a Poky Little Puppy frame ready for Instagram! Let us know you plan on joining us so we have enough craft activities for all!
- 11:30 AM: Jamie Brenner, author of The Forever Summer and Brenda Janowitz, author of The Dinner Party.
- 1:00 PM: Thriller/Mystery Writer Panel—B.K. Berrell (A Tightening Noose), Michael O’Keefe (Shot to Pieces), and Dina Santorelli (Baby Grand). These three authors will talk about the writing process for the thriller/mystery genre.
- 2:00 PM: An Authors’ Reunion—Long Island Woman book columnist Debbi Honorof, and authors Ellen Meister (Dorothy Parker Drank Here), Saralee Rosenberg (Dear Neighbor, Drop Dead), Alix Strauss (The Joy of Funerals) and Carol Hoenig (Without Grace) initially did events together several years ago and were often on panels together over the years and now are all regrouping in support of Independent Bookstore Day. They will discuss their journeys as writers, columnist and even a bookstore owner and talk about the importance of independent bookstores! Debbi Honorof says, “As the former book columnist for Long Island Woman, I know how important independent bookstores are for authors as a way to promote their books. There is no better place for authors to connect with their readers.”
- 3:30 PM: Literary Agents Talk Shop (More Details to come) Andrea Cascardi from Transatlantic Agency; Dorothy Vincent, previously with Janklow & Nesbit Associates, Margaret O’Connor from Innisfree Literary, and Rebecca Scherer from Jane Rotrosen Agency, will talk about the importance of independent bookstores for authors, publishers and agents.
- We will also offer anyone who spends $50 or more in the bookstore, 50% off one glass of wine or beer from our cafe. Kids will get a complimentary cup of lemonade. And with any bookstore purchase, patrons will be allowed to select an advanced reader copy for our library cart.
- Starting at Noon, The Chapters Rap will be hosting a street festival with a long line of independent authors, including Mary Ellenton with her release of The Psychic.